Call Yourself a Rescue Ranger
Bible Reading: 1 Corinthians 9:22-23
I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ. 1 Corinthians 9:22
Kallie looked puzzled. “Isn’t Jesus giving us way too big of a job when he tells us to reach the world? I mean, there are a bazillion kids just at my school. And how can I ever talk to the whole world? Where am I supposed to start?”
Great questions. And here are some questions for you to talk about:
• Think about your best friends. Are any of them non-Christians?
• Think about the people you spend big chunks of your day with at school or work. Are any of them non-Christians?
• Think about the people you live near. Are any of them non-Christians?
If you nodded yes to any of those questions, you can join God in his mission to rescue non-Christians. The people near to you are your place to start!
There are three tips to remember as you share Christ with these people:
1. Ask God to lead you. Think about it: God has already placed people all around you who don’t know him. When Brent prayed to be able to see nearby non-Christians the way God saw them, he found he cared more about them-and he noticed more chances to share his faith.
2. Be a friend to non-Christians. The Bible commands you to stick together with Christian friends because you need them to challenge and encourage you (Hebrews 10:25). But also having some non-Christian friends puts you in a far better position to lead others to Christ.
Matt used his interest in scouting to build relationships with non-Christians. He couldn’t join in everything his scouting buddies did, but like Jesus he worked to be a friend of “sinners” (see Matthew 11:19) without taking part in anything he knew would disappoint God.
3. Take the first step. Don’t wait for your non-Christian friends to ask you about spiritual subjects—you ask them. When Sherri told her non-Christian friends about God’s love and forgiveness, she saw God work through her words and her example to bring a couple of her friends to Christ. Whether or not other kids agree with you, show them that you’re a friend.
When Jesus asked you to tell others about him, he wasn’t giving you an impossible task. You can share him with the people right around you!
TALK: With which people right around you can you share the love of God by lovingly talking with and serving them?
PRAY: God, help us to share your love and forgiveness with people dose to us.
ACT: Make a plan to reach out to people closest to you.